Apple launches repair program for faulty AirPods Pro
The news: After months of complaints from users experiencing crackling noises and weakened active noise cancellation (ANC), Apple has launched an official repair program for AirPods Pro.
- Eligible AirPods Pro models exhibit at least 1 of the following:
- Crackling or static sounds that increase in loud environments, with exercise or while talking on the phone
- Active Noise Cancellation not working as expected, such as a loss of bass sound, or an increase in background sounds, such as street or airplane noise
- AirPods Pro manufactured through October 2020 are in the pool of possible affected units
- Apple says “the program covers affected AirPods Pro for 2 years after the first retail sale of the unit”
Our take: Although buzz about these issues died down, I always had a sneaking suspicion that something else…other than a faulty software update…was at play here. Send your AirPods Pro in right away if you’re in the affected group!